A favorite devotional of mine – A perfect time to start putting this into practice.
Jesus Calling, Sarah Young, July 24
THANKFULNESS OPENS THE DOOR to My Presence. Though I am always with you, I have gone to great measures to preserve your freedom of choice. I have placed a door between you and me, and I have empowered you to open or close that door. There are many ways to open it, but a grateful attitude is one of the most effective.
- If you are traveling for the holidays and have delays or difficulties getting there, don’t complain, be thankful for the ability to travel and a place to go and share this holiday with someone.
- When you arrive and are surrounded by family that drives you bonkers…. stop those thoughts and replace it with thankfulness … of a home to go to and a family to celebrate with.
- When you eat too much turkey, dressing, pies and everything else – don’t think Why did i eat that? and get down on yourself … be thankful that you always have food and today is a day to enjoy yummy rich foods without the guilt.
- If you have to work on Thanksgiving or the day after, count your blessing of having a job in a time when unemployment rates are so high.
- If you do not have family to celebrate with, celebrate with your heavenly father and Thank Him for always being at your side. Thank Him that you are NEVER along and for this holiday weekend to spend with Him.
- IF you’re one of the crazies who gets out in the Black Friday mess ( I am sometimes, but not thinking that will be this year), be thankful that it is not a mandatory thing, but instead one of your own doing.. and stop complaining. 🙂
- And if you are me, right now, who at 5am is pretty miserable from a nasty throat and chest cold… and literally got 4 hours of sleep in 2 hour increments this Thanksgiving Eve, count your many blessings.
- There are many who live daily with chronic things like this or worse
- If I cannot sleep, I will spend time with my God. Thank you Lord for this time with you.
Jesus Calling, November 22
..A Thankful mind-set does not entail a denial of reality with its plethora of problems, Instead, it rejoices in M e, Your Savior, in the midst of trials and tribulations. I am your refuge and strength, an ever-present and well-roved help in trouble.
Habakkuk 3:17-18 Though the fig tree does not blossom and there is no fruit on the vines, [though] the product of the olive fails and the fields yield no food, though the flock is cut off from the fold and there are no cattle in the stalls, Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will exult in the [victorious] God of my salvation!
<sup class="crossreference" value="(A)”>
Psalm 46:1 God is our Refuge and Strength [mighty and impenetrable to temptation], a very present and well-proved help in trouble.