Ephesians 4:22-24 throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy. [NLT]
I have been deceived for so long. For me, it’s all been about performance. Attaining the new nature through my right actions. Here I have been living so long trying my best to please my heavenly Father. Trying my best to stop doing “bad” things (put off the “old nature”) and start doing “good” things (put on the “new nature:). All the while, God is grieving for me, as I condemn myself for falling short.
The MISTAKE: I take the action words in scripture and try to do them the best I can in my own strength.
The RESULT: I become a victim to LEGALISM and SELF CONDEMNATION. I take on the lie of “I have to be better” and “I’m not good enough.”
The TRUTH (What does God say?):
- You are not condemned because it’s not your power that has freed you Romans 8:1-2
- Stop trying to meet all the requirements of the law; instead, live for Me Galatians 2:18-21
- Do not treat My grace as meaningless. For if you could keep the law, then why did My Son have to die. Galatians 2:21
HOW DO WE CORRECT THIS?
Read this verse again, and look closely.
Ephesians 4:22-24 throw off your old sinful nature … Instead, LET the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy. [NLT] Emphasis mine
What are we to be “doing”? How are we to be “performing”?
Did you catch the action word “LET” in the New Living Translation? It means allow, give permission to … Other translations use the verb “to be” (remain).
- The flesh will never obey God’s law so stop trying (Romans 8:6-7).
- Instead put to death the deeds of your sinful nature through the power of the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:13, 2 Corinthians 12:9, Zechariah 4:6).
THE NEW NATURE – It is not until, we renew our minds and hearts, that we can have the new nature. It is not earned but instead – received. It is not a better us, but instead – Him.
Jesus Christ living in us!
The Holy Spirit flowing through us!
This is something Im still trying to completely grasp. Study for yourself.
Go deeper and reflect on Romans 8. What is God saying to you?
I would love to hear your thoughts.